05 September 2020

Thankful Reflections

Goodness! It was just over a year ago I finished up my work for the Synod, almost. I did have a speaking gig at the Concordia Seminary Symposium that last year to do on habits of prayer and then I also had the interviews with Matt Whitman for the Ten Minute Bible Hour and Crucial Productions. But the month was mostly a nice time of transition. I got used to being home during the day again. 

Over the years at Synod what I had at first enjoyed—the long drive (and I still do enjoy a road trip)—had faded into a minor irritant, and particularly in the bad weather times. My kids will tell you: I’m paranoid about the white stuff on the road. So it was pure luxury, to wake up in the morning and have to go absolutely nowhere. No bridge or highway construction to have to think about at all!

When October kicked in I began writing in earnest for my new employer: Lutheran Public Radio. At first three times a week, but then finally twice a week, I’d head into the studio by 10 to record some podcasts and any Issues shows that were needed. Because Collinsville is this side of the river, there are simply no traffic crunches on the way to work, and that’s awesome. 

It took me a bit of time to work out new routines, though. I finally feel like I got my stride with writing the podcasts. I enjoy penning each and every one and then recording them later. At Synod noon hour was my workout time, but that didn’t work anymore. Some days I’d be at the studio through that time. So I needed to figure out where to put workouts where they’d just be an invariable part of the day. Ended up being right after our morning prayers, walk, and 15 minutes of mindfulness meditation (yes, I do that, and I relish it every single day). I get up from meditation and turn on my King James Bible in audible and begin the workouts. Five days of pushups. Tuesday and Thursdays are days for pullups and kettle bell swings too. Saturday is reserved for sprints and more leisurely running. So far, it’s been working like I charm. I settled on this routine during the Covid lock down and it felt fabulous to have something physically challenging to attend to six days a week.

Speaking of the lock-down, Cindi and I have told each other more than once that we (sigh) actually enjoyed being locked up together in our home. I began recording from home (that was a bit dicey due to our internet and always required annoying fixes to old shows before tackling new ones); and we had those weeks of solitude. We missed our church and our friends something awful though, not to mention children and grandchildren. We were happy when things began to crack open again, but it was to us over all not a time of strain or misery. Introverts, you know. 

Sometime in October we managed to knock out our 15 year mortgage. It had just been 7.5 years. It took some months for that to really sink in and anxiety about it to disappear. And with no mortgage we were free to pursue some long desired and long postponed maintenance. We replaced our deck door with a larger door with between the glass blinds. We had the living room, dining room, and kitchen painted. And our favorite upgrade of all: we got rid of the carpet and replaced it with lovely oak hardwood and a few “ruggable rugs.” We have a lot more on our to do list, but we’re done for this year. Time to save up again.

As I noted a few days ago, I’ve adopted this KJV way of praying the Daily Office, and I look forward to that extra time in Scripture each day besides our joint time in the Treasury of Daily Prayer. Still serving at St. Paul’s whenever Pastor needs me to (in this Covid-tide, usually helping on Saturday evening and 8 a.m. service on Sunday). So thankful that Cindi and I can usually take advantage of the Wednesday morning Eucharist at 8:20. Pastor preaches on the Sunday Gospel that day, but he aims it at the school children and I always find it a refreshing homily to ponder. Sometimes “overhearing” allows you to hear in brand new ways. 

In short, if I could have designed my ideal life according to my dreams, well, that is exactly what I now have. I still have to pinch myself somedays and ask: “Is this for real?” And the joy of all joys is having the time to study and teach the Word as the one thing my boss primarily wants me to attend to. How amazing is that? Thank you, Jeff!!! But thank You most of all, kind heavenly Father!

No comments: