05 May 2023

I am in love…

…with my new Bible. It was very (as my kids would say) “spendy,” but it’s so worth it. I now have a beautiful ESV with Apocrypha in genuine calfskin leather.  And the Apocrypha is NOT stuck at the end, but placed squarely between the Testaments, exactly where Dr. Luther put it in his Bible. I’ve become increasingly leery of having “study notes” supplied by a publisher in a Bible, and I’m pleased to say this one has only the ESV textual notes and within the margins the wonderful Cambridge system of cross-references. It’s not quite as comfortable in my hand as my KJV with Apocrypha (which is just the perfect fit). Preserving the ESV’s layout of poetical lines also means that the print had to be a tad smaller. But for anyone who is looking for an ESV with Apocrypha (remembering that all Lutheran Bibles originally had those books included), this one is simply top notch. 


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Weedon: would love to add that particular Bible to my collection. Would you please supply me with the specific information of that edition? Thank you and continued blessings.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Bible in every way.

Please provide the specifics of that particular edition so that we can add it to our collection.

Thanks.

Jonathandh64@icloud.com

William Weedon said...

No doctor here! If you click the hyperlinked word Bible in the original article, it will take you to where you can purchase it.

Ralph said...

I also have this Bible. It’s perfect for us confessional Lutherans.

Mark said...

"Spendy" is relative, isn't it? It might be more expensive than a Bible in the CPH catalog, but even at full price, that Cambridge edition is less spendy than a cell phone, for example. And only one of those items delivers life that is truly life.