03 July 2023

Five Years Ago…

…I got a most unexpected phone call to from my youngest daughter. She called to tell me that my brother, James Maupin (Maup), had just died back in Virginia. She was rather distraught. Her cousin had let her know and she hated to be the one to break this news. But I told her then that sad as the news was, his death was hardly unexpected. He was in quite rough shape when saw him the previous month for his youngest daughter’s wedding which I was blessed to perform. He was weak, couldn’t stand for long periods of time, and just looked unhealthy. He’d been through rounds of chemo and such some years back for lung cancer. Vietnam had taken its toll on him (as on so many others). But it seems that he just had a massive coronary that July morning. He dropped dead outside, and that’s the way he would have liked it. He was living on land that had belonged to our father and grandfather before him. He left behind his wife, Nancy, two sons and a daughter, and six grandchildren. All of whom were heart-broken. As also were his oldest brother, his sister, and his younger brother. So many wonderful memories and fun time with Maupin. Amazingly, not too long ago, my cousin posted a video clip. Maupin is in it (as is my also deceased brother Joe). Maup’s got the light hair; Joe the dark. Their wives, Peggy (blond) and Nancy (dark) also show up here. They are harassing one of my Uncle’s poor sheep! 
Rest in peace, my brother!



1 comment:

gamarquart said...

Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.
Peace and Joy!
George A. Marquart