07 August 2009

Funeral Homily for Rolene Hemann

Dennis and Bonnie, Deannea and Marvin, Mark and Suzanne, family and friends of Rolene Hemann: wherever to begin? Rolene was a one and only. I mean, how many other 86 year olds do I have in my parish who email and surf the web? She’s been my poster-child for years when folks would tell me that they’re too old to learn something new like that. I’d say: “Why, Rolene does it!” Nor shall I ever forget the day I found out she was tracking MY blog. I had mentioned the day before that I’d got a blister working out in the yard - not the sort of thing I am known for, true enough - and so on the way out of Church she demanded: “Show me.” “Show you what?” “The blister. I want to see it with my own eyes.” That’s when I realized she’d been tracking me on the blog. That’s Rolene! Oh, I could go on and on. Story after story where she amazed and astonished me.

But perhaps we’d best get to the Lord’s story for that is what was behind the beautiful and faithful way she lived her life these last few years - ever since the bad news came in. The big C. Cancer. And out of control. She looked me square in the eyes and said: “I’m not afraid to die, Pastor. I’ve had a good life and I’m ready. I’m not going to dwell on it, though. When it happens, it happens.”

She could be so flippant about death because she believed what we heard in our readings today. She believed with all her heart that the Lord spread a feast to celebrate death’s defeat. She tasted that rich food and fine wine in the Lord’s Supper and knew that death would never be the end of her. Instead it would be the moment when she would say: “Behold, this is our God; we have waited Him for that He might save us.” A moment when a nail scared hand would reach out to wipe away every tear and when death would be no more. A moment when she would drink of the water of life without payment - for she knew her Lord who makes all things knew had atoned for all her sin and destroyed death for her forever.

And so she lived the blessed life. I am not the least bit surprised she wanted me to preach upon the beatitudes for her funeral. This blessedness Jesus describes is a blessedness she herself tasted. Blessed are the poor in spirit - that is those who come before God only as beggars, only as those who are given to, empty hands outstretched. How many times did I see those empty hands outstretched to receive from her Lord the kingdom in the body and blood. Blessed those who mourn - and she had her share of mourning, as you know - for they shall be comforted. She knew in Christ a comfort bigger than any sorrow of this age. It was the source of her unquenchable hope. Blessed are the meek - those who don’t insist on their own rights, but trust in God to provide for every need - for they shall inherit the earth. She walked through life as though the world were hers. And in Christ, it was! Blessed those who hunger and thirst for righteousness - who ache for the holiness that God Himself alone can give - for they shall be satisfied. Blessed the merciful, the pure in heart, the peacemakers, the sufferers - for God more than makes up for all the pain and sorrow of their lives. Rolene LIVED this.

Oh, don’t get me wrong. I’m not pretending she wasn’t a sinner. She confessed herself one every time she came to this room to receive the Lord’s Body and Blood - which she did with her family a scant week before she died. But she was a sinner who trusted in God’s great mercy. I remember her telling me about her night-time prayers. “It takes me 15 minutes to get through them. I can tell Him things I can’t tell anyone else. And I ask that He would always be with me and get me through.”

There’s the key to her blessedness. To desire the Lord’s presence and to remember before Him those she loved. I wonder if you begin to realize how much you all have been in her prayers. She took your trials and troubles, your joys and celebrations, your heart-aches and tears to heart and she lifted them up to God, praying for each one of you. Why was she so easy to talk to? She had learned not to judge a soul, but to simply ask God’s mercy and blessing on each and everyone that they might come to share the blessed life too.

I suspect that that’s what made her such a good nurse - simply put, she let the Lord’s love fill her up, and she gave it out abundantly. A mind of her own and no one was going to tell her what to do or not do, except Leo - and I know that that could be a trial as you all worried about her in these last years - but she lived confident in the Lord, grateful for her dear neighbors who looked out for her, rejoicing in her grandchildren and great-grandchildren and always ready with a new picture to show, and oh, she was ever so grateful to you, her children, who allowed her the grace to die at home, surrounded by your love and your care, and with brother Melvin at her side too.

Rolene’s was a blessed life indeed. There are tears today, but we all know that they are for us, not for her. For her, the Feast has commenced in earnest and she waits with all the saints for the joyful day when her body will be raised. And for her sake I certainly hope that when our Lord promised: “Behold, I make all things new” that that includes her string of beloved cats. Leo had better be there on the last day or someone’s going to hear about it.

With Rolene there was always laughter with tears, and the laughter usually won the day. May it be so for you all as you remember her and the blessed life that she lived in union with Christ and so which she goes on living even now. To Him be the glory forever and ever! Amen.

Rolene R. Hemann, age 86, of Worden, died at 9:01 p.m., on Monday, Aug. 3, 2009, at her residence in Worden. She was born on May 15, 1923, in Staunton, the daughter of the late Seibert "Ike" and Lydia DeVries Rull. She married Harold A. Hemann on April 27, 1946, in Staunton. He preceded her in death on Feb. 5, 1986. She is survived by two sons: Dennis Hemann and wife Bonnie, of Worden and Mark Hemann and wife Suzanne of Arlington, Va.; a daughter: Deannea Loos and husband Marvin of Normal; seven grandchildren: Michael Hemann and Ammie Strumph, Sarah Raynor and husband Chris, Aaron Loos, Nathan Loos, Joshua Hemann, Jacob Hemann and Clara Hemann; four great grandchildren: Carson and Caelyn Raynor and Delaney and Mallory Hemann; a brother: Melvin Rull and wife Cynthia Rull of Joliet; and several nieces and nephews.

Along with her parents and husband, she is preceded in death by a grand daughter: Rachael Loos and two brothers: Loren and Marvin Rull.

Mrs. Hemann was a Registered Nurse at Community Memorial Hospital in Staunton, where she worked approximately 40 years. She later worked at Staunton Nursing Home (now Heritage Manor Nursing Home) for a short time. Her memberships include St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Hamel and the Madison County Home Extension. Mrs. Hemann also did volunteer work for "Nice Twice," a Lutheran Church thrift shop in Belleville.

No comments: