25 August 2009

Tuesday Evening Prayer

[from CPH's upcoming republication of Starck's Prayer Book]:

EVENING PRAYER ON TUESDAY

The Lord is on my side; I will not fear; what can anyone do to me? Thus, O gracious and loving God, I may speak to You in this evening hour. I give You humble thanks that You have allowed me to complete this day under Your fatherly protection, Your loving care, Your gracious guidance, and Your abundant blessing. Lord, Your goodness is great and Your mercy is without limit. The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth. He will fulfill the desires of all who fear Him. He will hear their cry and save them.

But, my God, how swiftly the day has passed! Like an arrow shot from the bow, so swiftly do our years fly. And so, make me to know my end and the measure of my days so that I may remember always how frail I am. Behold, You have made my days a few handbreadths, and my lifetime is as nothing before You. We must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil. And so I enter into judgment with myself and inquire: My soul, how have you spent this day? Have you thought about anything good? Has God remained united with you, or have you driven Him from you by deliberate and intentional sins? My mouth, what have you spoken today? Have you spoken what is honest, chaste, and good? Have you spread abroad God's praises? Or have you overflowed with lewdness and foolish talk? Where have you gone, my feet? What acts have you performed and committed, my hands? What have you listened to, my ears? What have you looked at, my eyes? What has been your desire, study and aim today, my heart?

O my God, if I am to answer all these questions, how shall I stand? O Lord, with the passing of this day remove my transgressions. O Jesus, blot out my sins with Your holy blood. O Holy Spirit, assure me of the forgiveness of all my sins before I fall asleep. When I am thus acquitted of my guilt, O Blessed Trinity, I shall calmly go to sleep, and tomorrow I shall be more careful to avoid all that may grieve You.

My Father, let Your love cover me and all that is mine. My Jesus, in Your wounds I rest in peace and safety. O Holy Spirit, before I fall asleep, breathe in my heart the last sigh with which I commend my spirit into the hands of God.

I, a sinner, come to Thee
With a penitent confession.
Savior, mercy show to me;
Grant for all my sins remission.
Let these words my soul relieve:
Jesus sinners doth receive.
-- LSB 609:4

2 comments:

Sue said...

I've been thinking about getting this book. Thanks for posting this prayer - helps me to decide (in favor!)

William Weedon said...

I don't think you'll be disappointed... a great companion to Treasury!