18 April 2010

Quiet Afternoon

A pleasant Sunday afternoon for reading. Lauren's here doing laundry (David and Bekah at work), and Dave and Jo are coming up for the yummy dinner Cindi prepared - two sorts of lasagna, green beans sautéed, some biscuits. I've gotten the fire pit prepared with some of last year's Christmas tree for kindling - we figured the cool evening would be perfect to enjoy a bit of outside time.

The afternoon reading time has been spent with *The Shack.* Jim gave me his copy to read. It's got some horrific confusion on the Trinity; some truly bad theology here and there; still also some insights. At times I'm wondering if Anastasia ghosted the insightful parts of it - except I know she'd not have misspoken so on the Holy Trinity. I fear for those who read such a work and carry away the Christology presented in it as truth. It also strikes me as utterly and typically Protestant that the man is dealt with by God ALONE and not saved in and through the Body of Christ, the Church (about which more than one unkind thing is said). Still, I'm glad I'm reading it. I can understand something of its appeal and popularity.

8 comments:

Cha said...

I've not been compelled to read it, simply for some of the reasons you mention.

Mrs.Bomberger said...

I evidentially live in the area in which it was set... but I feel no need to read it either... beautiful area...ya'll come some time!

TheRevEv said...

Remarkable insight about healing in modern Protestantism happening from God alone and not through the body of Christ, the Church. The present reality that a growing number of people lack identity with a congregation but still would say they are connected with Christ is remarkably confusing to me.

Anonymous said...

As the father of a murdered daughter, I found The Shack an interesting, but difficult book. I liked some of the story aspect of it, but in all, the theology.....? I don't know. I think some of it is meant to be allegorical, or a metaphor, but it is more fairy tale than Christianity.

I am a new convert (2 years) to Lutheranism, and this book seems to be more about a theology of glory than a theology of the cross.

I think the biggest problem is the sense that God is going to do something dramatic, miraculous to heal our hurts in a similar way as the book. If I waited around for something like that, I would still be waiting. I have found comfort and strength in the most normal of ways, throught relationships in my family, church and work. God never left me a personal note to lead where my daughter was dumped in the mountains. I wish He had.

While the book tries to give hope, I think it might do the opposite. If we expect God to act like he does in The Shack, we will all be waiting and disappointed for a very long time.

While God does act and heal, and strengthen, He does it, usually, in the most ordinary and providential ways. I do not discount the miraculous, because in my daughter's case, there were some coincidences, answered prayer, and un-explained turns that I believe were God ordained and directed.

But to EXPECT God to act like this book is hurtful to those who are hurting.

My daughter went missing six years ago, her remains were found two years ago, we finally, due to legal reasons, only buried her a month ago, one of four victims of a serial killer here in Colorado.

see http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6383479n&tag=cbsnewsLeadStoriesArea.0;cbsnewsSidebarAboveMPUArea.0

Rob

William Weedon said...

Rob,

Thank you so much for being willing to share that. What can I say but "Amen" to your theological comments and that you'll be in my prayers.

William Weedon said...

Amen, RevEv!

William Weedon said...

Mrs. Bombie - it's on my to do list!!!

William Weedon said...

Cha,

Probably a wise choice.