15 April 2010

This April

has been beautiful beyond belief. The lilacs (there you go, Lauren) are in full bloom and sweetly perfuming the air. The irises are preparing to unfurl (and I still think they are the most elegant of flowers), and blooms are everywhere. Add the warm, warm days we've been having and it's hard to believe that we were shivering here not a terribly long time ago. It's crazy weather, but I LOVE it!

Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;

Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
(That slepen al the nyght with open eye)
So priketh hem Nature in hir corages
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen the laments over Lutheran pastors heading to Rome and to Constantinople -- this doesn't mean you're heading to Canterbury, does it? :)

William Weedon said...

I would like to VISIT Canterbury sometime, but the thought of becoming Anglican is one that this Lutheran cannot even begin to fathom (though there are those who have done so)...

Rev. Luke T. Zimmerman said...

Ah, Chaucer.

Reminds me of British Literature class in high school: reciting the first portion of the Prologue in front of class for an A. Our teacher let us read all of The Canterbury Tales in 1995.

Unfortunately, some of my youth kids haven't even heard of them. Their only exposure to Geoffrey Chaucer was as a witty quick-talker in the farcical movie "A Knight's Tale". (Though Paul Bettany's performance was quite good.)

Anonymous said...

It is especially wonderful to hear the Canterbury Tales read by someone who has experience with Middle English. A real joy!

Jeremy Loesch said...

Will, I also love lilacs. There are not too many in this portion of MD and DE. But the forsythia have been amazing this spring.

Care to answer a theological question for me? My mother thinks that orchids are the best flower. I know she is uninformed in this matter. Am I supposed to honor her in her thinking, even though it is in error?

Your help would be appreciated!

William Weedon said...

Oh, a simple matter Jeremy. Just bid her smell a hyacinth and she will forthwith repent of her error. For the best flower is the one that smells the best and I can't imagine a soul not giving hyacinths a hands-down win. :)

Anonymous said...

Man, that guy couldn't spell for beans!

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting all month for the lilac post.

Jeremy Loesch said...

Thanks for the help Will. I love the hyacinths too.

I generally pull grandchildren in to help with the 'argument'. We have a mess of tulips in our front yard and this year they have been stunning- red, purple, light pink. My oldest boy calls them sun catchers, because they close at night when the sun goes down and they open in the morning to catch the sun's rays. (That sounds quasi-theological, doesn't it?)

He loves them, as do I. I'll add that to your comments and I'm sure repentance from orchid error will be coming very soon.

Thanks for your help.

Jeremy (not an orchid hater, just not an orchid supporter.)

Michael L. Anderson, M.D., Ph.D said...

Foresoothe, this is all making me look forward with heart aflame, and right merrily too at that, to the Old Wife Quote of the Bath Day!