26 August 2020

On Reversion

That is, going back. The more I think of it, the more I smile to myself. 

I just ordered myself a brand spanking new Bible. It’s rather compact, but easy to read, and it has the all the books, including the Apocrypha. What version, you ask?

Well, it’s King James. (I actually have a facsimile of the original, but it has numerous odd quirks with typeface and spellings that make it slightly challenging to use. This one is easy peasy). The King James? Really??? 

Really. Like it was yesterday, I remember when I turned ten years old and my parents for Christmas gave me my first Bible. It was, of course, a King James. My mother patiently explained that there are other Bibles that were easier to read by far, but “of course, they’re not the real Bible.” I smile just remembering her saying it. And I remember how I struggled to read it and without much profit! The maps and pics were impressive though. Yet here I am.

For my podcast, I have mostly been using the ESV, but it does get slightly irritating how very often feel I have to go back to the KJV to point out a different way of saying something, usually a way I think better delivers the point of the original. So for my personal Bible reading and study, it’s reversion. 

A friend long ago pointed out to me that these newer versions pop up ever few years and they’re always changing them. With the KJV, he said, you can count on it being the same in 20 years as it is now. He was right.

No comments: