17 August 2020

One of the things...

...I have particularly come to enjoy on my iPhone is access to the library and its supply of digital books. I can’t even begin to remember how many books I’ve read (or listened to) since Bekah showed me how to borrow books this way. Non-fiction like The Power of Habit and Irresistible. And of course a steady stream of fiction by Baldacci, Connelly, and Crais. Cindi still likes to go to the library (yes, our local is open again) and browse, but I’m sold on just hunting with my device and discovering something new to read.

When I first started reading on the iPhone I remember having trouble remembering what I read as well as I could remember off a printed page, but that seems largely to have resolved itself. In addition to library books, I usually do my Bible reading and Psalms from the iPhone too these days (we still pray Treasury from the physical volume except when travelling...travelling, remember that?). I’ve even drawn up a spreadsheet from my facsimile of the original KJV that has the day’s Psalms and the assigned readings (and some fun calendar notes). So, I open Numbers to check on the Psalms and readings for Morning or Evening. And then I’ve gotten into the habit of mostly using Lutheran Prayer Companion also on my phone. I’ve added that to Books, and pretty much use it each day (thank you, Matthew Carver). 

So much of my reading has mostly become for me a screen thing rather than a book thing. I would never have suspected how much so even a mere three years ago.

No comments: