23 March 2007

No Poison Can Be in the Cup

McCain has a nice post on the beauty of the Lutheran Chorale. Couldn't agree more. There is something about the combo of text and music that really strikes home. One of my favorites is LSB 760. It was written by Samuel Rodigast to comfort his friend, the Kantor Severus Gastorius, during an illness. During his convalescence, Gastorius composed the cheerful melody used with the hymn.

What God ordains is always good:
His will is just and holy.
As He directs my life for me,
I follow meek and lowly.
My God indeed
In ev'ry need
Knows well how He will shield me;
To Him, then, I will yield me.

What God ordains is always good:
He never will deceive me;
He leads me in His righteous way,
And never will He leave me.
I take content
What He has sent;
His hand that sends me sadness
Will turn my tears to gladness.

What God ordains is always good:
His loving thought attends me;
No poison can be in the cup
That my physician sends me.
My God is true;
Each morning new
I trust His grace unending,
My life to Him commending.

What God ordains is always good:
He is my friend and Father;
He suffers naught to do me hard
Though many storms may gather.
Now I may know
Both joy and woe;
Someday I will see clearly
That He has loved me dearly.

What God ordains is always good:
Though I the cup am drinking
Which savors now of bitterness,
I take it without shrinking.
For after grief
God gives relief,
My heart with comfort filling
And all my sorrow stilling.

What God ordains is always good:
This truth remains unshaken.
Though sorrow, need, or death be mine,
I shall not be forsaken.
I fear no harm,
For with His arm
He shall embrace and shield me;
So to my God I yield me.

No comments: