17 January 2008

A Different Sort of Old Lutheran Quote of the Day

[Note: "old" here is a relative term, but I've used it for those who have fallen asleep in the Lord, so in that spirit I offer today's quote]

First, some context. John Neunaber was musician at a neighboring church, and we used to work out at the Y at the same time. We'd often strike up a conversation. One day, the subject fell to the use of so-called contemporary Christian music that has infiltrated many a Lutheran parish, including his. John shook his head, looked me in the eye, and asked in all seriousness:

"What will they sing when they're dying?"

I know what John sang. He sang the hymns of the church together with the canticles of the liturgy. He entered glory praying: "Create in me a clean heart...Lord, have mercy...Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace...O Christ, thou Lamb of God that takest away the sin of the world...Lord, let at last thine angels come...The King of Love my shepherd is..."

What will you be singing when you die? What a great thought to think about!

No comments: