06 February 2007

A Vespers Hymn

O Christ, who art the light and day,
Thou drivest night and gloom away;
O Light of Light, whose Word doth show
The light of heav'n to us below.

All holy Lord, in humble prayer
We ask tonight Thy watchful care
O grant us calm repose in Thee,
A quiet night from perils free.

Our sleep be pure from sinful stain;
Let not the temptor vantage gain
Or our unguarded flesh surprise
And make us guilty in Thine eyes.

Alseep though wearied eyes may be
Still keep the heart awake to Thee;
Let Thy right hand, outstretched above
Guard those who serve the Lord they love.

[Latin, c. 6th century - LSB 882, stanzas 1-4]

3 comments:

Rev. Jim Roemke said...

I have taken up your Matins/Vespers challenge and it has been wonderful! I read through the Augsburg Confession, now I am reading a daily devotional of Luther's works and another of patristic works. Thank you for that great idea! I've even encouraged one of my classmates to join me a couple times a week.

William Weedon said...

Jim,

What joy! I can't begin to say how the daily discipline of Matins and Vespers keeps me going. There is something about just standing there singing the Psalms and getting lost in them. I mean, other stuff fades away and the prayers of the Psalms remain, and the hymns and the readings. Such a gift to us from the Christians and saints of ages past - the daily office! May it strengthen you abundantly as you serve the flock God will entrust to you.

Pax!

Rev. Jim Roemke said...

It is indeed a great joy to begin and end every day with "O Lord, open my lips!" Thank you again for the great suggestion!
(BTW, the Chapel of the Holy Apostles is a sadly underused facility at the seminary. If any other CSL students read this, take use of this woderful place of prayer and meditation. I meet there with a friend every Monday and Thursday at 7:20 if anyone is interested!)