27 December 2007

O Rejoice!

O rejoice, ye Christians, loudly,
For our joy has now begun:
Wondrous things our God has done.
Tell abroad His goodness proudly
Who our race has honored thus,
That He deigns to dwell with us.
Ref.: Joy, O joy, beyond all gladness,
Christ has done away with sadness!
Hence all sorrow and repining,
For the sun of grace is shining!

See, my soul, thy Savior chooses
Weakness here and poverty;
In such love He comes to thee.
Neither crib nor cross refuses;
All He suffers for thy good
To redeem thee by His blood. (Ref.)

Lord, how shall I thank Thee rightly?
I acknowledge that by Thee
I am saved eternally.
Let me not forget it lightly,
But to Thee at all times cleave
And my heart true peace receive. (Ref.)

Jesus, guide and guard Thy members,
Fill them with Thy boundless grace,
Hear their prayers in ev'ry place.
Fan to flame faith's glowing embers;
Grant all Christians, far and near,
Holy peace, a glad new year! (Ref.)
--Andreas Hammerschmidt, LSB 897

5 comments:

Christopher Esget said...

It might not be the most popular move I've ever made, but this hymn is going to be the Hymn to Depart this Sunday for the Lutherans in Alexandria, VA. I can't wait.

William Weedon said...

HEY!!! For us too! I *think* they still remember it, but its been years since we sang it. I'm looking forward to it.

Rev. Paul T. McCain said...

Hammerschmidt...what a name!

Anonymous said...

I'm rejoicing over here. Chaz said that he has 9 catechism DVDs to upload. Weedon's Bender Binder Catechism, here I come! Woohoo!

Jen

William Weedon said...

Jen,

You are too funny! Well, just remember that we're only just beginning this way of doing catechesis and so forgive the countless rough edges!!!