19 December 2007

SWEET!

You know, one of my all time favorite pieces from that Praetorius Christmas Mass is the Puer Nobis / Ein Kind Geboren. I was bumming that I've not seen it in any of our English hymnals, but I tried googling and look at what I found!!!

click here

There's the music. Now, I like the words that Krauth translated better. There are available here:

click here

I think the Weedon family just found an assignment for sometime during the Christmas season!!!

P.S. Better yet, Pastor Jerry Gernander has pointed out to me that the version from the Oxford Book of Carols may be found at ELH #112 - with Praetorius' setting no less! Truly ELH is one of the gems of the new hymnals when it comes to the musical content!

1 comment:

Christopher Esget said...

Thanks for pointing that out. I've been addicted to that hymn since being given the CD a few years ago. That ELH had this treasure and it was simply languishing on my shelf ... well, that's just sad.