20 May 2010

Come, Down

Come down, O Love divine;
Seek Thou this soul of mine,
And visit it with Thine own ardor glowing;
O Comforter, draw near;
Within my heart appear,
And kindle it, Thy holy flame bestowing.

O let it freely burn,
Till worldly passions turn
To dust and ashes in its heat consuming;
And let Thy glorious light
Shine ever on my sight,
And clothe me round, the while my path illuming.

Let holy charity
Mine outward vesture be
And lowliness become mine inward clothing -
True lowliness of heart,
Which takes the humbler part,
And o'er its own shortcomings weeps with loathing.

And so the yearning strong,
With which the soul will long,
Shall far outpass the pow'r of human telling;
No soul can guess His grace
Till it become the place
Wherein the Holy Spirit makes His dwelling.

Bianco de Siena, c. 1350-1434
LSB 501

3 comments:

BrotherBoris said...

Love the hymn and the beautiful piece of artwork with it. Who is the artist? It is quite beautiful.

Boris

William Weedon said...

Dear Brother Boris,

I'm not sure of the artist - found it via google images - but I thought it beautiful also.

J.G.F. said...

I love arrangements by RVW