01 November 2014

That middle of the night wakefulness

Like everyone else I thought it a problem. I called it my donut hole. I'd fall sound asleep and then wake up for no apparent reason and have trouble getting back to sleep until an hour or an hour and a half went by. But then I encountered this:


Check it out. Think of our Lord's pattern of prayer. His assumptions about "watchfulness" - that night was not just for sleep. Think of the monastic singing of the psalms at midnight. It all makes soooo much sense.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Thanks for sharing this. I have had sleep issues, including lying awake for long periods at night, frustrated because I have a job to get to in the morning! Unfortunately, this pattern does not work for me at this point due to my work schedul. Perhaps when I retire (in 27 months!). In the meantime, I was recently diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea and now have a CPAP machine, which I love. And I sleep through the night. Next: working on easing back to an earlier bedtime. But I do like the idea of prayer in the middle of the night. I keep my Bible on the bed, so it's handy, and I have at times turned on a light to read it. And at the moment my sleep is thrown off again due to the change back to standard time.