01 June 2010

Lutheran Forum

came in the mail today. I have an article in this edition on the all-but-forgotten 1881 Church Liturgy of the Synod - an English liturgy that precedes the Common Service and its publication by some seven years. Dr. Nagel first pointed me toward this liturgy when I was student. Also in this edition is a fine article on Luther's "German Sanctus" and a provocative piece on the Stephan debacle by a descendent of the Synod's first and last bishop. A number of other interesting looking articles I have not had time yet to peruse.

4 comments:

GC said...

not to quibble, but I suppose it's not technically true that Martin Stephan was a bishop of the "Synod." But congrats on getting an article published there. If I can afford it, maybe I'll check it out!

George

William Weedon said...

George,

True indeed. Should have said the "proto-Synod" or some such.

Rev. Luke T. Zimmerman said...

Pr. Weedon:

Great little article on the 1881 English Liturgy. (First thing I read from this quarter's issue.) It helps to fill in a gap in the history of the transition from German to English in the LCMS.

Currently serving a former English Synod congregation in Pennsylvania, I haven't yet run across the 1881 Liturgy in our archives. (Since the English Synod had the Common Service, it is possible that my parish went straight to that.) But it would be an interesting search in the archives and libraries of congregations that switched to English earlier than most of the LCMS. I bet there would be some extant volumes of the 1881 Liturgy!

BTW, is it possible to have the 1881 Liturgy Book scanned and put into PDF form? I would like to see it, and I'm sure that others would, too.

William Weedon said...

Pr. Zimmermann,

I'm sure it is, but that's beyond my expertise. Scanners and I have never gotten along... I've tried!