07 November 2010

Joyous All Saints Sunday

from the beauty of "For All the Saints" with trumpet and tympani to the supreme comfort of the Beatitudes, from the sweeping vision of "Ye Watchers and Ye Holy Ones" to the joy of kneeling side by side to receive what all the saints have ever received:  the body and blood of the Savior with His pardon and His peace.  And no one captured the All Saints connection to the altar quite so superbly as the sainted pastor Berthold von Schenk:

"Our human nature needs more than the assurance that some day and in some way we shall again meet our loved ones 'in heaven.'  That is all gloriously true.  But how does that help us now?

When we, then, view death in the light of the Communion of Saints and of Holy Communion, there is no helpless bereavement.  My loved one has just left me and has gone on a long journey.  But I am in touch with her.  I know that there is a place where we can meet.  It is at the altar.  How it thrills me when I hear the words of the Liturgy, 'Therefore with angels and archangels and with all the company of heaven,' for I know that she is there with that company of Heaven, the Communion of Saints, with the Lord.  The nearer I come to my Lord in Holy Communion, the nearer I come to the saints, to my own loved ones.  I am a member of the Body of Christ, I am a living cell in that spiritual organism, partaking of the life of the other cells, and sharing in the Body of Christ Himself.

There is nothing fanciful or unreal about this.  Indeed, it is the most real thing in my life.  Of course I miss my loved one.  I should miss her if she took a long holiday trip.  But now, since she is what some people call dead, she is closer to me than ever.  Of course, I miss her physical presence bitterly.  I miss her voice and the sound of approaching footsteps.  But I have not lost her.  And when my sense of loss becomes too great, I can always go to our meeting place at the Altar where I receive the Body and Blood of my Lord that preserves my body and soul just as it has preserved her unto everlasting life.  Do learn to love the Altar as the meeting place with your beloved who have passed within the veil.  Here again the Sacrament is the heart of our religion.  The Blessed Sacrament links us not merely to Bethlehem and Calvary, but to the whole world beyond the grave as well, for at the Altar the infinite is shrined in the finite; Heaven stoops down to earth; and the seen and the unseen meet.

Oh, God, the King of Saints, we praise and magnify Thy Holy Name for all Thy servants who have finished their course in Thy faith and fear, for the Blessed Virgin Mary, for the Holy Patriarchs, Prophets, Apostles, and Martyrs, for all Thy other righteous servants; and we beseech Thee that, encouraged by their example, strengthened by their fellowship, we may attain unto everlasting life, through the merits of Thy Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord.  (The Presence, pp. 131, 132)

No comments: