28 November 2010

Sometimes I'm just stupid

Hey, watch it.  I said, "sometimes."  For years - since I was a child really - I've suffered from migraines.  Yes, toss your cookies headaches that need darkness, no sound, and no smells.  Well, a friend the other month happened to mention some medicine she was on for them.  So I asked my doctor about it.  He was a bit surprised that I hadn't ever said anything before.  Well, I figured that's just how life was, you know?  A lot of folks live daily with lots worse.   Doc shook his head and wrote the prescription. So I got it and have taken it twice now.  Both times, a miracle as far as I'm concerned!  Last time was this morning.  It started in as usual - almost invariably in the very early morning (3 or so) - and I thought:  great.  Church and a migraine.  Not a good combo.  But I took the medicine and voila!  Within an hour, the migraine is gone.  Just gone.  I'm absolutely amazed.  How long has this stuff been out there and I didn't know about it???  It's called Maxalt - and it is one first article gift that this laddie is most thankful for!  If you're a migraine sufferer I hope you check it out and that it works as well for you as it does for me.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Migraine headaches are a result of
excessive tension in a person's life
you need to lighten up and not take
yourself so seriously.

A Friend

William Weedon said...

I'm not sure that these are tension related at all. Oh, I have plenty of times when I am worried about things, or anxious, or whatever. It's just that is not when they seem to strike. Like I say: totally out of the blue, not thinking/dreaming about anything in particular, always in very early morning and the growing pain awakens me, and been like that since I was a kid. So I doubt I was taking myself too seriously back then, but I suppose it was possible! :)

Rev. Tucher said...

My doc put me on that as well. Let me tell, that little pill is a true Godsend!

CyberSis said...

I’m sorry to hear that you’re a migraine sufferer but really happy that you’ve found a medication that nips it in the bud. Headaches for me began in adulthood (before the medications were developed.) When they started increasing in frequency an MRI was ordered. Nothing showed up, though. :-) Well, this was over 10 years ago and I haven’t had a migraine since. Every doc I’ve mentioned this to has said there’s no connection, but I still recommend to anyone who tells me they have migraines to go get an MRI. Can’t hurt, right? And who knows?

David Garner said...

I disagree about migraines being about tension too.

Pastor Weedon, if Maxalt works for you (it did for me), you might try Imitrex. You can get it generic (and MUCH cheaper), and it works as well for me as Maxalt without the high cost. You can double it with an Aleve and it's basically the same medicinal cocktail as another boutique drug, Treximet.

Rev. Allen Bergstrazer said...

Thanks, a member of my family struggles with migranes, their cause is still a bit of a mystery; I wasn't aware of Maxalt either.

Anonymous said...

My wife suffers from these terribly. She was on Maxalt for a while, now she has something called a "Relpack." She thinks hers started when she had her first child, and an epideral. They were very hormonal for her, especially during pregnancy, which made it very hard to endure pregnancy. Sorry to hear about that--glad you have found some relief.

Jim Huffman said...

I'm an RN (Registered Nurse) and while lots of folks have too much tension, and take themselves too seriously, a real migraine is not the result of that. I second the suggestion with regard to Imitrex, but would also encourage anyone to speak with whoever is prescribing the meds before taking a drug combination. Even OTC meds (such as Aleve) can be problematic sometimes. Of course, doing one's own research online is a very good idea, too.

Anonymous said...

Maxalt obtained approval by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on June 29, 1998 --thus sayeth Wikipedia

Karina said...

I'm a migraineur, too, who has probably done way too much research into this disroer (!) - and the triptans are by far the best class of med that has been created thus far.
As someone already said, you might try sumatriptan (the generic of Imitrex).
Keep in mind that your med might not work as quickly with all attacks and that, while it'll knock out most of them, you may get the migraine back within a day or the med just might no work so well with a particular attack.
Also, one of the best things is to take your triptan with 2x200mg ibuprofen and a cup of black tea.

khouriakarina@gmail.com if you have questions....

Karina said...

ACK - that would be "disorder" and "might not" .....

Guess who had to take her triptan, too?!