20 August 2006

Patristic Quote for the Day

I learned from the example of the children in Babylon that when there is no one to support the cause of true religion, we must accomplish our duties alone. They sang a hymn to God from the midst of the flames, not thinking of the multitudes who rejected the truth, but content to have each other, even though there were only three of them. Therefore the cloud of our enemies does not dismay us, but we place our trust in the Spirit's help, and boldly proclaim the truth. - St. Basil the Great *On the Holy Spirit* par. 79

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use this quotation as one of my signature quotes for my emails. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Anonymous said...

Boy, I really like that one!

Josh R.

The Jewetts said...

Thank you Pastor Weedon for these words of encouragement....I needed to hear these words this morning. Glory to Jesus Christ!

William Weedon said...

Glad you all appreciated them. I love them very much. I rank them right up there with St. Gregory Nazianzus' words:

WHERE are they who reproach us with our poverty, and boast themselves of their own riches; who define the Church by numbers, and scorn the little flock; and who measure Godhead, and weigh the people in the balance? - Gregory of Naziazus, Oration 33