15 November 2008

"Not Simply a Lutheranized Breviary"

Is how Pr. Kinnaman describes the Treasury of Daily Prayer in his white paper on the selection of the writings for the Treasury. That is, the Treasury is MORE THAN a Lutheran breviary, and yet it is also that - the chief daily offices may be prayed entirely from this single volume. But there's more there than simply the daily office. It's intended to be a complete Lutheran devotional work - families can use it for daily devotions, it introduces our people to great writings from across the centuries of the Church's life, providing helps for preparing to receive the Holy Eucharist or to make confession and receive Absolution, and provides a deepened connection to our observances of the sanctoral calendar. I honestly do recommend the book to every family in our Synod. Looking for a Christmas gift that will actually strengthen a loved one's faith if used? Here it is!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an apt description. And undoubtedly why it has been so well recieved.

PS, I seem to remember a project to revise Starck's Prayer-Book, am I mistaken or does the Treasury make that redundant?

William Weedon said...

God willing, I *think* Starck is still on the dock for release maybe next year??? Pr. Kinnaman would know for certain.

Rev. Paul T. McCain said...

In case Rev K. does not wander this way soon, yes, Starck is in the on-deck circle for 2009.

Pastor Weedon....I've been reading your remarks about The Treasury and can't quite tell whether or not you really like it or not.

William Weedon said...

I know, I know. I'm TERRIBLY ambivalent.

Scot K said...

Treasury of Daily Prayer does not make the revision of Starck's redundant. In fact, it will be a very fine compliment for individuals and families to add to the family altar. Starck's has a most amazing treatment of the circumstances we find ourselves in as Christians, both daily, ordinary, and extraordinary.

As soon as we have had a chance to edit the work more fully, we will let our editor start sharing portions of this meaningful resource with you.

Starck's is scheduled for releas late summer or early fall of 2009.

Anonymous said...

I have used the Concordia/Pieper edition regularly for years, I'm very glad it will be back in print. Whenever I find a good used copy I buy it to give to friends and relatives.

Rev. Paul T. McCain said...

Back in print, only much better, thanks to some good editing work by Pastor Weedon, the editor of the new edition coming out in 2009.

Rev. Gerson Flor said...

Greetings, Pastor Weedon. I read here and there of the continuous edition of good stuff by CPH, and I call to memory your work on Philipp Nicolai's Freudenspiegel, which you posted here a while ago. Will that be meeting the press anytime soon? Our Toronto circuit pastors surely hope so! Our circuit Reformation service observed the 4th centennial of his death, and our laity was very interested in reading his words of comfort. And I warned them they were over 400 years old!

Pax Domini!

William Weedon said...

Pr. Flor,

Someday, God willing. But I need to get the German volume back in my hands again!

Pax!