03 October 2009

Worship before a Crucifix

Yes, it did change things. The image of that love before my eyes. I was drawn to it again and again throughout the Divine Service. Each time I looked it hurt and yet it filled me with joy. He did that for me - for us! Oddest thing is the hands of the Crucified Lord. The right hand is arranged to give the Western blessing (three fingers straight, two bent inward); and unless I am much mistaken, the hand on the left is giving the Eastern blessing, actually spelling the name "Christ" in Greek. I don't know who thought of that, but it was a positively stunning insight. West and East the Lord embraces with His blessing, His hands pierced for both and nailed to the cross to bring blessing to both, hence to all the world. "On my heart imprint Your image!"

3 comments:

Matt Carver (Matthaeus Glyptes) said...

How do I get my congregation, which has always only had crosses, to get a crucifix? Would you recommend an altar or processional crucifix first?

William Weedon said...

First, it is very helpful for the pastor to treat often about how a Crucifix is not an unLutheran thing - there was a generation that was catechized that Lutherans didn't use such so as to confess the Risen Christ, "because he's no longer on the cross." Ask them to try out that argument on their Nativity scenes. It will help confront the reality that it is actually LOOKING at the crucifix which is painful and yet which is a blessing. "For us!"

Second, a memorial gift makes a fine way to approach the matter.

Third, if there is need of a processional cross, I'd get that with a crucifix first. We have a beautiful processional cross, hand-crafted by a member of the parish, but it sports the Agnus Dei in his victory (with banner); so it made sense for us to put the corpus upon the cross on the altar.

Matt Carver (Matthaeus Glyptes) said...

Many thanks for the ideas and things to ponder. Now, our processional cross is a modern, tapered electroplated brass looking thing that is short and hooks onto the pulpit. my old parish had a cross and a crucifix made by a parishioner, of fine wood, with a layer of crimson wood in it. They switched them according to the season.

BTW happy birthday!