23 August 2011

Truly one of the greatest prayers...

...and I find myself needing to pray it so very often.  It is by Metropolitan Philaret of Moscow:

O Lord, grant me to greet the coming day in peace.  Help me in all  things to rely upon Your holy will. In every hour of the day reveal Your will to me. Bless my dealings with all who surround me. Teach me  to treat all that comes to me throughout the day with peace of soul and  with firm conviction that your will governs all.  In all my deeds and  words, guide my thoughts and feelings.  In unforseen events, let me not  forget that all are sent by You.  Teach me to act firmly and wisely, without embittering and embarrassing others.  Give me strength to bear the fatigue of the coming day with all that it shall bring.  Direct my will, teach me to pray, and You yourself pray in me.   Glory to the Father, and to the Son , and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages.   Amen

4 comments:

Kevin said...

I knew you took a break from your blog so I haven't checked it in a while. I just did and found that wonderful prayer that may actually get used for a meeting tonight. It would be very appropriate. Another one for my folder. Thanks and good to see this blog again. Kevin

Sue said...

Oh, I'm going to have to copy that one and add it to the little stack of prayers, hymns, and Bible verses I keep on my keyboard tray at work! I already have #145 from the Lutheran Book of Prayer, "for joy in my job", that I pray regularly. I need it! There is not much joy here...

123 said...

Saint Philaret of Moscow. Still a little beholden to both the Jesuit school tradition inherited via Moghila and Kiev as well as to state church Protestantizing of Peter I, but a gem of the church in 19th century Russia.

He is said to have prepared Tsar Alexander II's proclamation freeing the serfs, he enjoyed the reputation of being one of the leading pulpit orators of his time and country, and he was the spiritual father of missionary hieromonk Makarii Glukharev (1792–1847), canonized in 2000 for his role as "Apostle to the Altai".

However, Philaret was also responsible for some of the worst offences towards the Russian Orthodox "Old Believers", including the misappropriation of their churches and the sealing of the altars at the churches of their Rogozhskoye Cemetery. Philaret was also directly involved in the imprisonment of Old Believer hierarchs and monastics.

Jars of clay, as we all are.

Becky said...

What a beautiful prayer. I'm with Sue; it's going with me to work and be at the ready on my desk. Thanks for sharing it, Pastor.