05 September 2006

Patristic Quote of the Day

So it falls out that in this world, in evil days like these, the Church walks onward like a wayfarer stricken by the world's hostility, but comforted by the mercy of God. Nor does this state of affairs date only from the days of Christ's and His apostles' presence on earth. It was never any different from the days when the first just man, Abel, was slain by his ungodly brother. So it shall be until this world is no more. - St. Augustine, City of God, Book XVIII, Chapter 51

1 comment:

Wartburg said...

Psalm 91:14 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him:
I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
91:15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in
trouble; I will deliver him, and honor him.
91:16 With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

2 Cor.1:3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the
Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;
1:4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to
comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith
we ourselves are comforted of God.
1:5 For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also
aboundeth by Christ.
1:6 And whether we be afflicted, it is for your consolation and
salvation, which is effectual in the enduring of the same sufferings
which we also suffer: or whether we be comforted, it is for your
consolation and salvation.
1:7 And our hope of you is stedfast, knowing, that as ye are partakers
of the sufferings, so shall ye be also of the consolation.