10 September 2009

Yes, It Arrived!

But I've been so busy today that I've not had a chance to really enjoy it yet. I can say it is overwhelming. There is SOOOOOO much stuff in The Lutheran Study Bible that I figure I'll end up learning from it for the rest of my life. The regular print edition isn't TOO bad on my eyes. Cindi says: "No, you just need to hold it far enough away." :) The goodies stashed IN the Bible are what is amazing. I've read a fine note on the unity of the Church by Bishop Obare of Kenya. There is a stunning piece on God's wrath (p. 1134). A fine article that explores the human and divine natures of the Sacred Scriptures (p. 1646). A summary of the NT teaching on men and women in the Church (p. 1972). Concrete suggestions on fasting (p. 189). In the notes, the Christocentric focus is never lost. "These testify of me" our Lord said, and the notes help us to hear that testimony in its fullness. Cindi finds the illustrations goofy; I rather like them as black and white ink drawings. More later as time allows.

7 comments:

Jo said...

I can hardly wait for mine. Wish it was in my hands today.

Chris said...

There are black and white illustrations? Too bad, the editors decided to go for contemporary art than reproducing treasured works of art of Christianity in the pages like the Orthodox Study Bible did with its reproduction, in color of course, of icons.

Rev. Paul T. McCain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rev. Paul T. McCain said...

The images used throughout The Lutheran Study Bible are taken directly out of one of the most lavishly illustrated Bibles in the history of the Lutheran publishing, as explained in the front part of TLSB. They are by no means "contemporary."

While it would have been nice to have tipped-in color plates throughout the book, it is already a massively huge volume and adding that kind of bulk would have made it ridiculously unwieldy.

I'm sorry you felt a need to take pot-shots at a book you have not even seen.

knittin' mama said...

I'd prefer the red-letter text to be a bit darker. I find focusing on it a bit more difficult, especially if the text on the page behind is also red-letter.

I do like all the references to the confessions, and LSB.

Jenny

Rev. Paul T. McCain said...

Please know that the credit for this work goes to Rev. Edward Engelbrecht and his terrific team of people who worked together for over five years on this project.

SDG!

Anonymous said...

The intro to the book of Job is a gem.