01 March 2009

MARCH!

Not in the military sense, in the YEAR sense. Yeah! May it bring a swift Spring. I really do delight in the change of seasons, but there is no season that so thrills as Spring. I've likely mentioned it before, but for some reason emblazoned in my memory is Connecticut Avenue in Washington D.C., lined with majestic old trees, with that "first green" which Frost rightly calls "gold." I can see the afternoon sun cutting through them and how beautiful they looked. Anyone from DC know if it is still like that? My memory is from sometime in the 1970's. In any case, the month that brings us Spring is upon us - DEO GRATIAS!

6 comments:

Rev. James Leistico said...

I love the red bud blooms around here... it's what keeps me from being too depressed in the fall when the trees go bare - "But at least Spring will come and deck these trees out in all their glory." Especially this one tree on the way to church right out front of the funeral home here in town. Too bad the baptism will be too early in the month for you to see its blooms.

Anonymous said...

Pastor Weedon,

Here in VA/NC right now the "Groundhog" was right. I am looking outside in a lighted garden (its 3:49 AM) at Duke University Medical Center and seeing nothing but snow and snowflakes!!! :-)

I am happy about this, because I LOVE SNOW, but my wife reminds me, we have to drive home in it!!! :-(

I look forward to spring as well!!!

YIC,
VA/NC @ Duke

Anonymous said...

Will, spent some time on Connecticut Ave Sunday afternoon with my Grandmother-in-law. She lives Aspen Hill area of Conn Ave. A lovely area, but very busy. Conn Ave is four lanes in each direction, with strip malls. The old homes are still frequent and when you get into the subdivisions, things are little quieter. I'm sure it has changed since that time. And for some reason, gas prices are 30 cents more per gallon along Conn. Ave. On nice marker is the Mormon temple- cultic but still stunning, especially at sunset.

Past Elder said...

You know, of course, that Spring means the grass snakes come out, and with it the annual rumination over whether they really have to be part of the new creation ganz neu!

Anonymous said...

I suppose you mean what we called "garter snakes" in Minnesota.

I think they keep the mice down. You prefer mice?

Helen

Past Elder said...

Minnesota? I grew up there.

Actually, the ones here are the kind we called racers, because they have a bright stripe down the back.

They used to say there was a rattler or two in the bluffs along the Mississippi. Never saw one. Did you?