03 March 2009

Offered in Hope...

How beautiful You are in the triumphant festival of spring, when all creatures come to life again and in a thousand ways joyfully call out to You: You are the source of life; You are the victor over death.--Akathist of Thanksgiving

All the fair beauty of earth
From the death of the winter arising,
Every good gift of the year
Now with its master returns.

Daily the loveliness grows,
Adorned with the glory of blosom;
Heaven her gateway unbars,
Flinging her increase of light.
--Fortunatus, LSB 489

Waiting eagerly for the festival to begin. I see the signs. Buds swelling on the lilac. Green stems popping out of the earth beneath the tree that Lucy fertilizes regularly. Cold today, but I hear that 60's may make it by the end of the week. I am eagerly awaiting them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Spring -- and Lucy -- I am reminded of two quotes attributed to Martin Luther:

God writes the Gospel not in the Bible alone, but also on trees, and in the flowers and clouds and stars.

Be thou comforted, little dog, Thou too in Resurrection shall have a little golden tail.


I have always loved Spring, and especially the sight of snowdrops which my Grandmother loved very much and always kept in a small vase, so they remind me of my childhood.

It seems that Spring in Ohio is getting shorter and shorter, though. We sometimes seem to jump from Winter to Summer. Is that the case in your neck of the woods, Pastor Weedon?

Christine

William Weedon said...

Christine,

We sure did last year. Right from the one to the other. I love those lingering Springs when you can't get enough of the fair smells outside and the air is warm and the sun drenches you and when the showers come they are gentle and then pass.