12 April 2009

Music of the Feast

I mentioned the distribution hymns earlier, but how much of our joy of the day is carried by the hymnody! We also sang this morning:

Joy to the Heart (Matins and Divine Service)
Awake My Heart with Gladness (Matins)
Christ Jesus Lay in Death's Strong Bands (Divine Service)
Now All the Vault of Heaven Resounds (Divine Service)

and the St. Paul quartet sang for us "Christians to the Paschal Victim" at Divine Service and in preservice the Adult Choir sang a joyous setting of "O Sons and Daughters of the King."

The music of Pascha cannot be topped. Period.

3 comments:

Chris H. said...

Where can I find the text and music for "Joy to the Heart"? A few years back I heard a hymn review of it on Issues Etc with Dr. Just. I've saved that MP3 just to listen to the full length hymn at the end.

Thursday's Child said...

Oh, I miss Easter music. We went to church last night and only the last hymn was even a hymn, let alone connected in any way to Easter. Ugh!

J.G.F. said...

I know CPH has a choral setting on a CD of "Joy to the Heart" by K. Lee Scott. I love it!