17 August 2008

This-n-That

I confess to being a pop culture ignoramus. Just doesn't interest me, and I've not bothered to engage it much. Two exceptions this weekend: I enjoyed the phenomenal run of gold for Phelps at the Olympics [most TV I've watched since Hillary dropped out], and I caved to pressure from my children to see The Dark Knight.

Phelps was beyond amazing. The Dark Knight, however, struck me as the sort of show that wanted to be profound and ended up being anything but. Not that Ledger didn't succeed in being a real nutcase; he did. But the whole I found to be rather boring. About halfway through I wondered when it would end; but it kept on screeching and exploding at us for quite a bit.

Still, it was good to see the Herberts, to see Lauren one more time (before she heads back to Seward), and to have taken a ride in the civic (on the way there) and to have driven the civic (on the way home).

My conclusion: confirmed in the general wisdom of my habitual ignoring of the pop culture.

5 comments:

Carl Vehse said...

"Phelps was beyond amazing. The Dark Knight, however, struck me as the sort of show that wanted to be profound and ended up being anything but."

Right on both points! Especially Phelp's photo finish race.

And also I thought the Dark Knight movie had over-reached on whatever it was attempting. The plot I no longer remember.

Past Elder said...

In the struggle between good and evil, the warrior knows the struggle is not for him, and that even if he is victorious, those for whom he fights will often, as part of enjoying the victory, not want him so visible in the role of warrior, maybe even want him to go away.

The warrior also knows that if things were really well, he would not be needed at all, and if he really is effective at his job, it will be the dirty first step in making his job unneeded.

The warrior also knows that his opponent is a warrior too, as convinced as he is of the rightness of his side, and similarly headed for the same fate should he win, so there will be times when you wonder who it is you are more like, those for whom you fight or those who fight.

The warrior who is a Christian will also know this is as good as it gets in man-made heroes, and if one wants a hero to whom none of this applies, one must turn to Jesus, not to man or a man.

For other films, you might check out Hancock or Hellboy, or the more classic Seven Samurai or its Western (in two senses) adaptation The Magnificent Seven.

The farmers won. We lost. We always lose.

Rev. Richard A. Heinz said...

Father:
Kristi and I will actually be getting to bed before 1:30 am EDT this week, since swimming has concluded. Phelps (and our entire team) have been amazing!

I have not seen Dark Knight myself. However, you may wish to take a look at some Christological allegories that Stan Lemon on Higher Things mused about.

http://higherthings.org/myht/articles/pop_culture_arts/dark_knight.html

Rev. James Leistico said...

you've come in contact with pop culture in one more way - you just don't know it. get one of your kids (hint: or Jeff Schwarz) to play Coldplay's "Viva La Vida" for you... heard the song in Michigan this summer and thought my favorite thing on the radio was about to come on

Lutheran Lucciola said...

I completely understand your reaction to The Dark Knight. I haven't seen it yet, but over-the-top themes get on my nerves too. Sometimes the best thrillers and dark themed movies are the subtle ones, where they don't beat you over the head with it.

Best example of subtle thriller is Sixth Sense, M. Night's best movie.