26 February 2009

Christ's Yes

"Go forth, My Son," the Father said,
"And free My children from their dread
Of guilt and condemnation.
The wrath and stripes are hard to bear
But by Your passion they may share
The fruit of Your salvation."

"Yes, Father, yes, most willingly
I'll bear what You command Me.
My will conforms to Your decree,
I'll do what You have asked Me."

O wondrous Love, what have You done!
The Father offers up His Son,
Desiring our salvation.
O Love, how strong You are to save!
You lay the One into the grave
Who built the earth's foundation.

--LSB 438:3

These hymns of Lent - they knock the wind right out of you.

1 comment:

Rev. James Leistico said...

no doubt.

I'm looking forward to my parish hearing "My Song is Love Unknown" for the first time on March 8 (among other things I'm looking forward to on that day). So many times during the TLH years I wanted to choose that hymn and kept remembering I knew it from LW.