13 May 2009

New Lutheran Quote of the Day

The Golden Rule wasn’t given by Jesus as a general ethical principle for all people, but as wise direction for God’s children who have access to their heavenly Father through faith in Him. Since I am a child of God, I know that the best things I could ever hope to receive from fellow Christians is their prayers. It’s the greatest favor and kindness that they could ever show me. But the opposite is also true. By praying for God to forgive them when they sin, I show my love for them and for God. I therefore fulfill the Law and the Prophets when I don’t pass judgment on others but pray for them instead. That is my mission in life as a holy person. I can ask our heavenly Father to supply others with what they lack. I can seek His grace for my sisters and brothers in Christ. I can knock at the door of my heavenly Father and bring them into His presence. So by the practice of intercession we fulfill the Golden Rule. - John Kleinig, *Grace upon Grace* p. 201

2 comments:

J.G.F. said...

Ok, ok... all your quotes from Kleinig *forced* me to purchase it. :-) I'll get to it just as soon as I finish Krath....

Seriously, what a great book! Thanks for the heads up on it.

J.G.F. said...

That was supposed to be "Krauth".... my "u" key is sticking!