04 May 2009

Good News!

from Pastor McCain:

I have some great news.

Concordia Publishing House is offering special pricing throughout the month of May on the Treasury of Daily Prayer. And if you don't believe me about how great the book is, then read the endorsements at the end of this note. Truly, great stuff.

I can’ think of a better way to celebrate the rest of Eastertide and the Pentecost festival, than by encouraging our folks to embrace a richer, deeper life of prayer and meditation on the Word of God. In my opinion, there is no better single resource to aid and strengthen us in our prayer lives, than Treasury of Daily Prayer. But, you know I’ve been saying that for some time now. If you don’t believe me, listen to what others are saying. I’ll post a slew of recommendations and endorsements from people using it at the end of this note.

The special pricing is this:

The regular edition, $49.99, is now $24.99.
The deluxe edition, $79.99, is now $39.99.

Call 800-325-3040 to place your order.


If you want to place a web order, you must use this link to get the special pricing: http://www.cph.org/dailyprayer

Please let your various networks and contacts know, alert your congregations, and consider placing a group order for the Treasury.

These prices are only good through the end of May.

Feel free to use these quotes below.

What Others are Saying about the Treasury of Daily Prayer

+++

Wonderful Tool as One Choice for your Daily Devotions - TREASURY OF DAILY PRAYER

In some of my Bible classes over the last several months I shared with you my joy in purchasing and using a new devotional book: Treasury of Daily Prayer. (I brought it in and showed one of the Sunday classes.) Pastor Olsen and I each picked one up from the Seminary Bookstore when we attended the Exegetical Symposium at the Ft. Wayne Seminary at the end of this last January.

We had both received pre-publication PR ... but neither of us had ordered it. Being frugal Lutherans (and knowing we would have to give answer to our wives as to why we allowed ourselves the temptation of entering the bookstore) ... we noticed that it was a good buy - discounted during the Symposium, I believe.

After giving it a ride back to Lansing TDP (Treasury of Daily Prayer) found a place in my home. Like everything else, however, ... exercise equipment, that new diet, books ... you have to USE it for a while to see how good it is ... or if it "works".

Folks, I love using it ... and it "works" in terms of deepening your walk with Jesus in your daily life. When preaching on Sunday or in a Bible class or Confirmation class, I have often used something that I've read in TDP over the previous two weeks (about how long I can remember what I've read and where) in the message. It provides different orders of service IF you want to incorporate that into your quite time (QT) as well as providing daily Scripture readings, prayers, psalms, some hymn verses from our new hymnal - Lutheran Service Book, writings from our Confessions and other Church fathers. Here's the deal: it is amazingly flexible in how it can be used.

Concordia Publishing House states of TDP: "In today's busy times, God's people long for a richer, more intentional life of prayer and meditation on God's Word. Treasury of Daily Prayer presents an ordered collection of materials that guide daily prayer and devotions, and is appropriate for use by individuals, families, and small groups."

At the link immediately above there's also a Twitter button so that you can get daily tweets from Treasury of Daily Prayer. It's very encouraging to get them throughout the day. (I've been passing a number of them on to those who are following me on Twitter.) Also, at the site above, you can see a sample of what TDP is like by pressing the Take A Look Inside button. Give it a try.

I would recommend TDP for adults, and possibly for older teens ... who are interested in deepening their relationship with Jesus.

Blessings. Pastor David Maier Michigan

+++

I'm obviously not a pastor, but I also love the TDP! It's made my prayer life more disciplined by spurring me to pray matins and vespers or compline daily - this means I now spend more time in prayer and meditation on God's Word than I did previously. Having the propers for daily prayer has also been a great pleasure. I really did have sometimes up to 4 books with me previously when I prayed (Bible, hymnal, devotional or book of sermons, and Lutheran book of prayer), but now I generally just use the TDP since it rolls most things into one. I'm eagerly awaiting the Lutheran Study Bible! Best, Bethany Tanis (Assistant Prof of Mod Euro Hist at Aquinas College)

+++

The Lord God acts and we respond. What a joy to have a tool such as the Treasury of Daily Prayer. In one convenient place, the Word of God and prayers and church fathers. In the Old and New Testament Readings, a well as the psalms, the Lord speaks - turn a page and we have a model for response, liturgy, song, prayer - It has been such blessing that I need to purchase another...I have given my first two away to parishioners desiring a good prayerbook.

Kelly

+++

The Treasury of Daily Prayer has become a trusted friend and a necessity. The relationship between the Old Testament and New Testament readings gives greater meaning to both. Beginning with a Psalm that coincides with the readings begins the daily devotion with a meaningful prayer. The extra bonus is reading the suggested portion from The Book of Concord! It ties all the readings together and makes very clear what we privileged Lutherans believe and teach. Using this resource for daily devotional reading is never something I do as a self-discipline; it is almost an indulgence because I benefit so deeply from and treasure the time spent each day with The Treasury of Daily Prayer. Jean Michigan +++

As a Lutheran layman, I greatly appreciate the systematic supplement offfered in the Treasury of Daily Prayer to the corporate Divine Service(s). The combination of OT and NT Scripture, writing of the Church Fathers, hymns and prayers that follow the Church Year gives me an opportunity daily to grow in the Faith--something of which we never get our fill.

Larry in Texas

+++

Excellent book and resource.

I read it fairly often to my 5 year old son and 3 year old daughter as well. My 5 year old says "can we read the 'Daily Book' "as he calls it or the "Treasury" I read a portion of the daily readings to them.

Makes me want to read Holy Scripture each day and gets me in the mode of reading Scripture more often.

Now for the unabridged version of the Treasury with the Book of Concord suggested readings each day too :)

We also play church at home with the Lutheran Service Book - mostly with Matins and my son serving Holy Communion and knowing quite a bit of the words. My daughter is the deaconess. She uses the smaller Lutheran Prayer books as "hymnals". The What About half-sheet pamphlets are "bulletins".

Gary in Minnesota

+++

In my Study, a salve for a weary heart. At home the best reading and singing that my children do all day.

Adrian in Indiana

+++

Paul, Keeping the Treasury open at my desk has revitalized my daily devotional life. The Treasury makes it easy to be in God's Word daily and meditate on it with the assistance of prayers and writings from church fathers who walked before us. Suggested readings from the Book of Concord have nudged me back into regular conversation with the brilliant theologians who shaped our heritage. God's Word, the confessions and the church writings are true treasures that we neglect at our peril. Thanks for making them a joy to use again.

Philip in Nebraska

+++

Paul:

I was given the Treasury of Daily Prayer as a gift and I use it in conjunction with Kraus' "The Pastor at Prayer". The daily reading from the Treasury is my "Liturgical Lesson for the Day", so it's a nice addition even though I continue to read through the Scriptures and Confessions according the the schedule in Kraus. I, however, remain underwhelmed by the ESV. Those to whom I've showed it are taken aback by the Treasury's size. The people here have stayed with their Portals of Prayer even though we advertised the Treasury.

Rick in Kansas

+++

"As we begin a lengthy trip to deal with the aftermath of a family loss, it is extremely helpful to both carry and have ease of access to the "Treasury of Daily Prayer" for daily devotions at this time. One need not "search the car" to find all that one might want. It is there with both Word and helpful words based soundly upon Scripture. Lastly, as one spends time in motels there is always the opportunity to use the "TDP" as part of witness to the Risen Christ."

Paul in Missouri

+++

"For many years I have struggled in my prayer life, looking for a way to pray that was more connected to the liturgical life of the church. It was frustrating because it would take a long time to gather what was needed and often I felt like I couldn't know what I needed unless I bothered one of my pastors each day. Treasury of Prayer has solved all that. Everything needed to have a full and complete prayer life in keeping with the lectionary and the Lutheran faith is in one volume. I highly recommend it!"

Noreen in Houston, Texas

+++

The arrival of the Treasury of Daily Prayer at our house practically coincided with the accidental death of our 18-year-old son. During this time, the Treasury has been our refuge of being together and being in the word. During February we lamented with Job. On Easter we heard a great sermon by Chrysostom. We like to read all the daily readings before we go to bed and we often tack on an Evening Prayer or a Compline. The book is so easy to use, that there remain no excuses or awkwardness in sharing this time, which now has become a precious habit.

Yours, and thanks, Brigitte in Alberta, Canada

4 comments:

+ Robert Wurst said...

Please tell Pr. McCain that the price is not correct when TDP is added to the cart.

Details, details . . .

Rev. Paul T. McCain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rev. Paul T. McCain said...

Must have been a glitch. I just checked and the prices are displaying properly.

Bishop Robert Lyons said...

Though I am not a Lutheran, I find TDP to be a new, welcome, and vital part of my daily devotions. I plan to order one for my wife as a Mother's Day gift (a little belated due to travelling) since she is pregnant with our first child!

Rob+