24 July 2007

The Amazing Wilma

I love all my shutins. Each in their own way. But then there is Wilma. Wilma is the same age as my own mother would be, had she lived. Wilma just turned 90. She's even born the same month as my mother, just three days later.

And Wilma is gifted with her tongue and doesn't hesitate to use it. When I first came to St. Paul's, I fixed some coffee one day in the basement for the pastors and then we went out to lunch. I was coming back to clean it up later. HA! Wilma caught me as I came in the door: "Pastor! We do not have MAID SERVICE in this Church. You are to clean up after yourself and not let it wait for others to do." I fell in love with the woman right then and there. I burst out laughing and said: "Yes, mother!"

We've been ribbing each other ever since. Today we laughed a lot, cried a little, and shared about life. I told her she better not even THINK about kicking the bucket anytime soon - I've got too much to do with the wedding. She promised to behave herself, and she told me it was okay to cry at the wedding, and that I was to enjoy it all.

Wilma, you are certainly a bright light in my life. I wish I could spend a lot more time just sitting and visiting with you because you always brighten my days. Much love, dear one!

No comments: