18 July 2007

Jesus Lives!

[What a comforting hymn this is! I remember the sainted Dr. Wayne Schmidt telling us how he had long since memorized it and sang it to himself as he drove around town. Great text to store in one's heart.]

Jesus lives! The vict’ry’s won!
Death no longer can appall me;
Jesus lives! Death’s reign is done!
From the grave will Christ recall me.
Brighter scenes will then commence;
This shall be my confidence.

Jesus lives! To Him the throne
High above all things is given.
I shall go where He is gone,
Live and reign with Him in heaven.
God is faithful; doubtings hence!
This shall be my confidence.

Jesus lives! For me He died,
Hence will I, to Jesus living,
Pure in heart and act abide,
Praise to Him and glory giving.
All I need God will dispense;
This shall be my confidence.

Jesus lives! I know full well
Nothing me from Him shall sever.
Neither death nor pow’rs of hell
Part me now from Christ forever.
God will be my sure defense;
This shall be my confidence.

Jesus lives! And now is death
But the gate of life immortal.
This shall calm my trembling breath
When I pass death’s gloomy portal.
Faith shall cry, as fails each sense:
Jesus is my confidence!
LSB 490:1-5

4 comments:

J.G.F. said...

I really miss Dr. Schmidt! His worship class was among my favorites in Sem. Thanks for reminding me of this great Saint of God in our Church!

William Weedon said...

Johnny,

To my lasting regret I didn't get him for worship. I had Dr. Fremder - who was a fine hymnologist and we'll leave it there. But I did have Dr. Schmidt for Pastor as Educator where he was outstanding also.

Pax!

Schütz said...

Yes, it is a great hymn. In my funeral instructions, I have chosen it as the recessional hymn as my coffin is taken out of the church. But the problem is: will the Catholics be able to sing it!

By the way, our Australian version is quite different to yours. What tune do you use?

Here is the version from the Lutheran Hymnal #101 (Tune: St Albinus)
1. Jesus lives! thy terrors now
Can, O death, no more appall us;
Jesus lives! by this we know
Thou, O grave, canst not enthral us.
Hallelujah!

2 Jesus Iives! henceforth is death
But the gate of life immortal:
This shall calm our trembling breath.
When we pass its gloomy portal.
Hallelujah!

3 Jesus lives! for us He died;
Then, alone to Jesus living,
Pure in heart may we abide,
Glory to our Saviour giving.
Hallelujah!

4 Jesus lives! our hearts know well
Naught from us His love shall sever;
Life nor death nor powers of hell
Tear us from His keeping ever.
Hallelujah! .

5 Jesus lives! to Him the throne
Over all the world is given;
May we go where He is gone,
Rest and reign with Him in heaven.
Hallelujah!

Jesus lebt, mit ihm auch
Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715-1769)
Tr. Frances Elizabeth Cox 1841, Recast, F. H. Murray’s ‘Hymnal’, 1852, and others

William Weedon said...

David,

I've not seen that version. Thanks for sharing it. Our tune is Jesu Meine Zuversicht by Johann Crüger.

You can hear it here:

http://www.lutheran-hymnal.com/online/tlh-201.mid