28 November 2009

Old Lutheran Quote of the Day

O my Savior, You came into the world to save sinners; receive me and enter my heart. You have long ago, even before I was born, chosen my soul for Your dwelling. You prepared it for this purpose in Holy Baptism, when I was washed with Your precious blood and purified from all pollutions of the flesh. But I have departed from You, I have again defiled my soul with many grievous sins. By my ungodly conduct I have often broken my baptismal covenant. I now return to You. I open the door of my heart again to You. I long for You with great earnestness. As the deer pants for the streams of water, so my soul longs and pants for You, my God and Savior. May it please you to come and enter my heart. I vow eternal faithfulness to You. Unite Yourself with me, that nothing may separate us. Let Your Spirit from now on be joined to my spirit, and lead me always in a straight path, that I may always follow You, cling to You, and through You obtain eternal salvation. -- Starck's Prayer Book, Advent Prayer (pp. 48,49)

No comments: