22 June 2007

21 Years Ago Today

It was exactly 21 years ago that through the laying on of hands, I was ordained into the office of the holy ministry. The ordination took place at the Lutheran Church of St. Andrew in Wheaton, Maryland, the same Church where I had been baptized and confirmed. The preacher was my vicarage pastor, George Plvan, and the ordinator was District President Rich Hinz (whose son, Paul, was confirmed with me at St. Andrew years before and whose son, John, was a classmate at Concordia Bronxville).

Thinking back over the years, I am grateful, humbled and astonished that God would have placed me into this holy office - do I ever resonante to the words of Luther's sacristy prayer! Their truth rings deeper in my soul with each passing year:

O Lord God, dear Father in heaven, I am indeed unworthy of the office and ministry in which I am to make known Your glory and to nurture and serve this congregation.

But since You have appointed me to be a pastor and teacher, and the people are in need of the teaching and instruction, be my helper and let Your holy angels attend me.

Then if You are pleased to accomplish anything through me, to Your glory and not to mine or to the praise of men, grant me, out of Your pure grace and mercy, a right understanding of Your Word and that I may also diligently perform it.

O Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, shepherd and bishop of our souls, send Your Holy Spirit that He may work with me to will and to do according to Your divine strength according to Your good pleasure. Amen. (Pastoral Care Companion, p. xviii)

8 comments:

Past Elder said...

All best wishes on your anniversary!

No doubt it has been a great 21 years for those in your parish. And no doubt this blog has been a blessing many times over to those trying to hold to the Confessions along with you out here in the blogosphere.

What's that phrase? Ad multos annos!

Rev. Rick Stuckwisch said...

Congratulations on your anniversary, dear brother, and God's blessings on your continued faithful service in the holy office. I certainly count it a tremendous blessing of God to know you as a colleague and to count you as a friend.

Jo said...

God's blessing on your 21 years.

LPC said...

Pastor Will,

Savor the blessing and comfort of being called.

But if I may joke a bit... a pastor once said to us, that he has wondered what terrible sin he committed that God should call him to become a minister!

Lito

William Weedon said...

Past Elder, Dr. Stuckwisch, Mom, and Lito,

Thanks for the kind wishes! And Lito, I honestly have to confess that it's been overwhelming joy, and not burden. Sounds trite, but it's true.

Much love to you all!

Anonymous said...

After 21 years of service as a parish pastor, who can count the seeds planted for which Christ gave the growth. Congratulations.

Rev. Eric J Brown said...

It is a great prayer, and the one I pray before every sermon I preach. Congrats, and may God continue to use you in His Church for many years to come.

William Weedon said...

Mark and Eric,

Thanks, my brothers. God's peace to you!