25 June 2007

A Pastor's Prayer

One of the beautiful things about the Pastoral Care Companion is the section it provides at the beginning for pastoral prayer under a variety of situations. I've recently been blessed to use it prior to hearing confessions. What better words could the pastor have on his lips than these before hearing the confession of sin and shame and confessing the absolution of mercy and grace?

Father of mercies and God of all consolation, before You all hearts are laid bare and no secrets are concealed. Open the lips of Your children that they may not hide their iniquity and so waste away in deceit, but in truth acknowledge their sin and receive Your Word of absolution. Guide me, Your servant, by Your Word and Spirit, that I may rightly discharge this holy office with faithfulness and mercy, wisdom and compassion. Guard the door of my lips that I never utter what is divulged in confession and, by the word of pardon that You have placed on my lips, grant that those whose bones have been crushed by the weight of Your wrath might be restored with the forgiveness purchased with the blood of Your Son. Protect them from the accusations of the evil one as he strives to rob them of Your peace. Save them from temptation and keep them in the company of Your holy Church to sing of Your saving righteousness forever; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

I honestly wonder where this book has been all my ministry. I've needed it for years and years. It helps, brothers. If you don't have it, order it today!

5 comments:

Schütz said...

Have you seen the Australian Lutheran "Rites and Resources for Pastoral Care"? Probably not. Its a neat book too for a variety of ritual and pastoral care situations. I worked on it when I was on the LCA Department of Liturgics as the editors research assistant. All the rites in it started life on my old Amstrad word processor about 20 years ago. Its main contents are:

1) Introduction (about pastoral care and use of ritual)
2) rites relating to baptism, confession and communion
3) Rites relating to sickness and death
4) Guidelines and resources for counselling situations
5) Rites of blessing
6) Other situations (service of teh word, opening and closing meetings, compline)

It comes with its own CD too.

William Weedon said...

David,

I have seen that before. I don't own a copy though. Someone had it at seminary and I remember thinking it was quite well done. It had a special section, if I recall, for dealing with demonic oppression that was outstanding. Am I remembering correctly?

Schütz said...

Yes, you are. It was called "spiritual oppression", but that's what it amounted to. By the way, there is a pastor here in the LCA wanting some stuff from Baier's compendium translated from latin--all about "evil angels" and spiritual possession. Know anyone whose latin is good enough to handle a fair chunk of work that I could pass it on to?

William Weedon said...

Yes, I do. Email me and I'll give you the name, though I am almost certain that Baier's has been translated into English entirely.

weedon@mac.com

William Weedon said...

David,

You might direct your friend here:

http://www.emmanuelpress.us/