23 October 2008

One of the Things

I find absolutely amazing about all the "Luther" movies (we always show one at the school during the week of Reformation) is how they all MISS the Gospel itself. How hard is it to depict an "aha" over "iustita Dei"? Luther's description of his "aha" - that the righteousness is a GIFT GIVEN rather than a harder demand than the Law of Moses - always reminds me of this passage from St. John Chrysostom:

“'To declare His righteousness.' What is declaring of righteousness? Like the declaring of His riches, not only for Him to be rich Himself, but also to make others rich, or of life, not only that He is Himself living, but also that He makes the dead to live; and of His power, not only that He is Himself powerful, but also that He makes the feeble powerful. So also is the declaring of His righteousness not only that He is Himself righteous, but that He doth also make them that are filled with the putrefying sores of sin suddenly righteous. And it is to explain this, viz. what is "declaring," that he has added, "That He might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus." Doubt not then: for it is not of works, but of faith: and shun not the righteousness of God, for it is a blessing in two ways; because it is easy, and also open to all men.” - St. John Chrysostom, Homilies on Romans 3

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the things that I always liked about the 2003 Luther movie was how they "snuck" in the Gospel message. I think you must have missed it Pastor Weedon.

Go to chapter 5 of the DVD which depicts Luther preaching to the congregation. Here Luther says in part:

"So when the Devil throws your sins in your face, and declares that you deserve death and hell, tell him this... I admit that I deserve death and hell, what of it? For I know one who suffered and made satisfaction in my behalf. His name is Jesus Christ, Son of God. Where He is there I shall be also."

William Weedon said...

Oh, thanks, Rich! I was going from memory on that one because I can't find the DVD of it. Sounds like THAT'S the one I need to find and show again - the others don't do the job.