01 February 2009

Hey, SWEET!

Looking ahead to the Hymn of the Day for Sexagesima, it's one of Luther's with a less than stellar tune: "May God Bestow on Us His Grace." But the alternate modern tune sounded vaguely familiar. I just realized! It's the alternate tune for the Luther baptismal hymn. I initially wasn't taken with the new tune, but (like so many things) the more I've worked on it, the more I've come to appreciate it. If one uses this new tune for both Sundays, the use of it twice in a month or month and half every year according the LSB One Year Series is sure to make it a beloved tune among our people and will go a long way toward our people falling in love again with these sturdy Luther texts.

1 comment:

Rev. Eric J Brown said...

See, when you had "SWEET" in all caps, I thought it was a reference to the glam band from the 70s. There's a "Ballroom Blitz" hymn setting?

I was confused for a moment. Of course there aren't many hymns based on a 6693 meter.