25 July 2006

Patristic Quote for the Day

If we are sheep, we conquer; if we are wolves, we are overcome. So long as we continue to behave as sheep, we are victorious. Even if ten thousand wolves surround us, we conquer and are victorious. But the moment we become wolves, we are conquered, for we lose the help of the Shepherd. He is the Shepherd of sheep, not wolves. If He leaves you and goes away, it is because you do not allow Him to show His power.

These are His words: Do not be troubled that I send you out in the midst of wolves and tell you to be like sheep and like doves. I could have done just the opposite, and not allowed you to suffer any hurt. I could have prevented you being the victims of wolves and made you fiercer than lions. But I chose a better way. My way makes you more glorious and proclaims my power. These were his words to Paul: "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." That is the way I made you. When He says, "I send you out as sheep," He implies: "Do not despair, for I know very well that in this way you will be invincible against all your enemies." - St. John Chrysostom, Homily 13

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How counter culture of you and St.John Chrysostom! Everything in our world pushes us to be the opposite, we have to find our own way, make our own life. Weakness is not an option.

Thanks for posting this, as one who is often weary of the battles of life in this world these words are a great comfort and help me to rest in my sheperd who will defend me.

Anonymous said...

A excellent thought to keep in mind for those who are in the 3 year series. Next Sunday's gospel is Mark 6:7-13, the sending of the disciples, with no food, money, or even extra clothing.

Fr John W Fenton said...

Thanks again, Fr Weedon, for this wisdom from St John Chrysostom.