11 January 2007

More on *God Grant It*

The book I referenced below in the Old Lutheran Quote of the day is a daily devotional organized according to the historic calendar of the Western Church with meditations from the Sunday's Gospel and Epistle readings. I've only had the book in my hands for one day, but let me tell you, I am VERY impressed. It is the remedy to so much that ails us!

Walther is lavish in both Law and Gospel (duh!) and there is no question about the Gospel predominating. His language is vivid, simple and clear.

Tonight I was telling Chaz that I think it is better than Laache, which is saying a lot. And the more I thought about it, I think the basic reason is that Walther preached to Americans - and not matter what we like to think, we really haven't changed all that much.

I cannot recommend it highly enough. If you took my challenge and are reading the Psalms and Bible readings from LSB and the daily reading from the BOC, you can't go wrong by adding in a page or two of Walther. You'll be blessed. Promise!

No comments: