20 February 2008

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy On Me a Sinner

Lord Jesus Christ, Eternal Word of the Father, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, the Word through whom all things were made, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, foretold by the prophets in signs and words, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, in the fullness of time conceived by the Holy Spirit, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, born of the Holy Virgin, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, hymned by the angels, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, adored by the shepherds, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, worshipped by the Magi, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, held by St. Simeon, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, praised by St. Anna, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, obedient to your parents, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to a sinner's baptism, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, fasting in the wilderness, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, driving out demons, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, cleansing the lepers, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, giving sight to the blind and hearing to the deaf, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, teaching the precepts of the kingdom, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, raising the dead, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, walking on water and changing water into wine, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, praised by the little children, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, riding into Your city as the sacrifice appointed, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, giving your body and blood to be eaten and drunk, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, praying in the garden, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, bound and mocked, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, stripped and beaten, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, innocently condemned to death, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, opening Your hands upon the cross to embrace the world, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, knowing the loneliness of our exile and our sin, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, trampling down death by death, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, pouring forth water and blood to save the world, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, sanctifying our graves by lying in a tomb, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, harrowing hell and releasing the prisoners, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, rising in victory over death and corruption, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, appearing to the disciples in the broken bread, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, ascending in triumph, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, seated at the right hand of the Father, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, High Priest who ever lives to intercede for us, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, coming on the clouds of glory to renew all things, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, dread Judge at the Last Day, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

16 comments:

Christopher Esget said...

Wonderful. Source?

William Weedon said...

It's a prayer that came to me tonight, expanding on the Jesus Prayer as I prayed in the sanctuary before the Divine Service and then Evening Prayer.

Anonymous said...

Fr. Weedon,

You said you did this spontaneously? Are you sure you're not a charismatic? Ha, ha.

Actually, a lot of the insertions you make are reminiscent of the refrains from the AKathist of the Cross. Coincidence? nah.

Best

William Weedon said...

Dear Christopher,

Definitely not a Charismatic. :)

I'm not familiar with that Akathist. Could you link to it for us?

Doorman-Priest said...

Very thoughtful. Have you thought of a career in liturgical publishing?

William Weedon said...

Liturgical publishing? Uh, no. Besides, the wonderful thing about this expanding and evolving internet is being able to instapublish (love that term) anything you think might be helpful or useful - and no red tape. Pax!

Anonymous said...

So, since you threw it out there (instapublished!) and we have all appropriated it, how would you like to be credited?

;-)

cmf

123 said...

It reminded me of the Verses sung following the Creed in the Orthodox service of Great Compline:

All-holy Lady, Mother of God, intercede for us sinners.
All-holy Lady, Mother of God, intercede for us sinners.
All-holy Lady, Mother of God, intercede for us sinners.
All you heavenly Powers of Angels and Archangels, intercede for us sinners.
All you heavenly Powers of Angels and Archangels, intercede for us sinners.
Holy John, Prophet, Forerunner and Baptist of our Lord Jesus Christ, intercede for us sinners.
Holy John, Prophet, Forerunner and Baptist of our Lord Jesus Christ, intercede for us sinners.
Holy, glorious Apostles, Prophets and Martyrs, and All you Saints, intercede for us sinners.
Holy, glorious Apostles, Prophets and Martyrs, and All you Saints, intercede for us sinners.
Our Venerable, God-bearing Fathers, Shepherds and Teachers of the whole world, intercede for us sinners.
Our Venerable, God-bearing Fathers, Shepherds and Teachers of the whole world, intercede for us sinners.
Unconquerable, indestructible and divine power of the precious and life-giving Cross, do not abandon us sinners.
Unconquerable, indestructible and divine power of the precious and life-giving Cross, do not abandon us sinners.
O God, cleanse us sinners.
O God, cleanse us sinners.
And have mercy on us.

Of course, it also reminded of what little I have heard regarding the practice of the Jesus Prayer at the Monastery of St. John in Essex, England founded by Archimandrite Sophrony. Since they had a multilingual community and little translated into English, he substituted the Jesus Prayer for the various services of what was then also a co-ed monastery. I believe it was mainly just the Prayer, but petitions would be added in, too.

William Weedon said...

cmf,

It's just a prayer. It doesn't need to be credited.

Anonymous said...

it reminded me of one of my new favorite* LSB hymns: #540, Christ the Word of God Incarnate. Though the tune is not very Lent-ish at all, so I guess the prayer and the hymn would not go so well together.

*for the purposes of full disclosure, I must admit bias, since the Rev. Dr. Mueller was the Lord's mouthpiece to declare me husband to my beautiful bride.

Anonymous said...

I've saved it in Word, using Monotype Corsiva, 12 pt.
I titled it: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy on Me a Sinner Weedon Variation 1."
For the file, I shortened it to: "The Weedon Jesus Prayer Variation 1."
(Of course, "Variation 1" requires that there will be a Variation 2, at the very least.)
Am looking forward to it.

Rev. Jim Roemke said...

I am compiling a booklet of Litanies for use at Good Shepherd. This one definitely made it in! Fr. Weedon, you are just great! I have made alterations to the Jesus prayer from time to time, especially when meditating on the Divine Mysteries (i.e., Jesus Christ, incarnate Word,...Jesus Christ, crowned with thorns,... etc.) You were the first to introduce me to the Jesus prayer through your blog and it has been such a treasury of meditative riches. Thank you for adding this to the prayers of the Holy Church.

Anonymous said...

Well, now I feel silly for asking, but that's OK. I feel silly most of the time. ;-) I am afraid that I have been affected by the age of the copyright, when everything from prayers to Bible translations is limited in use to those who pay for them or are willing to give credit. My homespun bulletins are interrupted with the periodic interjection "ESV". And now you tell me I don't have to ruin the atmosphere of prayer by putting a (c) after it? How churchly.

Back to lurking.

cmf

William Weedon said...

Dear CMF,

Don't feel silly. I hope my response didn't come off as flip. It's just that I get exasperated with ANYONE copyrighting the prayers of the Church. I'd never countenance it myself.

Pax!

William Weedon said...

P.S. Before you go back to lurking, who are you?

Anonymous said...

cmf = Christopher M. Fincher, a lazy typist who is ever typing initials as his signature and does so without thinking a lot of the time.

My reaction to copyright as regards the prayer of the Church is much the same as yours. In fact, I get pretty worked up about having to put "ESV" after the Scripture readings in the bulletin. I really respect what the BPB guys have done by using public domain texts where possible and then placing the entire book in the public domain-- a true service to the Church.