18 February 2008

No one wants to do a funeral...

...but if you have to do one, you really want to do an Aufdemberge funeral. They are the singingest bunch of folk you'll ever meet. They gather in the basement of the Church and PRIOR to the funeral, they sing hymn after hymn. And in Church! I have the bad habit of bellowing at the top of my lungs (yes, I should know my Piepkorn better than that) - but Eunice told me that today she couldn't even hear me. Crown Him with Many Crowns. Our Father's God. Lord, Thee I Love. Jesus lives! The victory's won. And at the graveside Abide with Me. What a witness that family is to the joy of Christ's resurrection victory even in the midst of tears.

3 comments:

mlorfeld said...

We had one of those families earlier this year. It was a real joy.

chaplain7904 said...

A person (pastor or lay) can sing loudly, and heartily in church without bellowing.

It's most distracting.

Anonymous said...

Can you get them to do St. John Damascene's What Earthly Joy in Byzantine Tone 1?