16 September 2007

Words of Beauty and of Joy

Kontakion 11

Through the icy link of the ages, I feel the warmth of Your Divine breath; I hear the flow of blood. You are already near; time has partly vanished. I see Your Cross; it is for my sake. My spirit is in ashes before the Cross, where there is a triumph of love and salvation, and unceasing praise unto all ages: Alleluia!

Ikos

Blessed is he who will have supper in Your Kingdom, but You have already admitted me to this bliss. How many times have You extended to me with Your Divine Hand, Your body and blood; and I, such a sinner, have taken this sacred gift and felt Your love - unutterable and beyond all being:

Glory to You, for the unfathomable, life-giving power of grace,
Glory to You, Who have raised up Your Church as a refuge of peace for an exhausted world,
Glory to You, Who breathe new life into us with the life-giving water of Baptism,
Glory to You, Who restore the purity of immaculate lilies to those who repent,
Glory to You, inexhaustible abyss of forgiveness,
Glory to You, for the cup of life, for the bread of eternal joy,
Glory to You, Who led us to heaven,
Glory to You, O God, unto ages of ages.

(From the Akathist of Thanksgiving)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fr. Weedon,

Nice excerpt. Could you please elaboate as to which Akathist this is from? Akathist of Thanksgiving can apply to any number of different Akathists. Thanks.

William Weedon said...

Hi, Christopher!

I wish I could tell you more about it. I know that it was reportedly written by a priest who was martyred in the Gulags. It's a stunning work to begin with, but with that kind of a background it shines all the more. An Antiochian parish up in Chicago area recorded it some time ago - and it is often featured on Ancient Faith Radio. That's about all I know - sorry!