22 October 2007

Nice Treat

So, as David was getting ready to head out to the university today, he said to me:  "You should meet me for lunch; I'm going to the Chinese Buffet."  Being a terrible sinner, my first thought - which I blurted out - was:  "You just want me to pay for your lunch." He got a look on his face and said:  "No, that hadn't occurred to me, but since you bring it up...." Rats. Turns out, he just wanted to have lunch with his dad. Now I think that's a wonderful thing. We had lunch together, drank a whole pot of hot tea, and enjoyed a few minutes of each other's company. He's a good laddie, and Cindi and I thank the Lord for him and for my daughters and son-in-law. You have to love your family, whether you like them or not. But what unspeakable joy it is when you LIKE them too! Then spending time together isn't ever a chore, a "have-to" - it comes across as sheer gift, a "get-to."  

2 comments:

Doorman-Priest said...

O Boy can I identify with this theme. Love them and like them too. Wow.
D.P.

Anonymous said...

I love your line "you have to love your family, whether you like them or not".

Reminds me of an oft-quoted line from Chesterton: The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people.